There are two types of adhesive that can be used with latex rubber sheeting:
Solvent based adhesives (rubber solution adhesives) and Water based adhesives (latex adhesives)
Solvent based adhesives dry quickly but the solvent can cause the latex to curl up. They are highly inflammable and must be used in well-ventilated work areas. They generate a good bond with good water resistance.
Latex adhesives are safe to use and do not cause curling up. They do however take longer to dry and may not stand up to immersion in water.
- Wipe away excess powder
- Clean surfaces with water (for latex adhesives) or solvent (for rubber solution adhesives). Use solvent sparingly because it will distort sheet but will flatten out when evaporated
- Allow sheet to dry completely
- Apply thin layer of adhesive to both surfaces
- Allow the adhesive to dry completely and any distortion caused by solvent to disappear
- Join the surfaces and apply slight pressure
- Allow 24 hours for the bond to develop fully
The rubber solution adhesive is a compound of natural rubber dissolved in petroleum solvents usually ethanol and methanol. Your local hardware shop will be able to offer you an appropriate solvent but please note that chlorinated solvents such as trichloroethylene should not be used because they will harm the rubber.
- Bostik 3851 Rubber Solution Adhesive with Bostik Cleaner 4 (Solvent cleaner/thinner containing aliphatic hydrocarbon previously known as Bostick6009.) as a primer. Cleaner 4 can also be used to removeBostik 3851 by dissolving it and removing it from the surface. These products should be available from all good hardware stores or see Bostik’s website at http://www.bostik.co.uk
- Loctite 480 (rubber toughened) or Loctite 406 (non-rubber toughened) Cyanoacrylate adhesive with Polyolefin primer (RS 159-4045). This adhesive produces stronger bonds than the Bostik 3851 but they are not as flexible. The products are available from RS Supplies at http://rswww.com
- Bostik 2402 two-part neoprene based adhesive
Four D Rubber Co. Ltd takes no responsibility for the choice of or use of adhesives by customers. This page is for information only.
Looking through the archives at Supatex HQ and we stumbled across these little beauties.
There were quite a few more however some were definitely not appropriate for the site. #cheeky
If you have any artistic retro images made from our material...
Hello Supatex Family,
It's approaching Christmas time and the end of the year, but before we can all relax we will conducting our annual stock take.
This means that our despatch date for orders over the Christmas break will be 04/01/2017
The Home of Latex Sheeting
We have been working really hard to come up with a revised fresh new logo for SUPATEX ... and here it is !!
we hope you enjoy it and that it reflects the premium quality product we manufacture. Be sure to keep your eyes on...